Today I had a brutal run. It was hot. Crazy humid. I am more of a cool weather runner. Scratch that, I’m a COLD weather runner. I’ll merrily run at -20 any day of the week. Anyhow….
I was lucky enough to have a couple run buddies with me for the first 1 km. There they were running like gazelles while I felt like a sloth. The chatted, I gasped away….At about 1.5 km they went on their merry gazelle-like way. I continued on with my path. No music, just me a hot wind and my thoughts. Oh my thoughts….
So here are things that went through my head on my run today:
- My god, why do I do this?? Oh right. I like this….Who the hell likes this?
- Damn you crazy fast runners!
- So jealous of the topless runners….hmmm…maybe…NOPE. Not happening. So not ever happening!
- Oh look a topless man coworker- awkward!!
- Is walk break time yet? Damn you 10 & 1’s!
- Oh I look pregnant ladies….man, am I glad I’m not prego in this heat!!! See, it could be worse.
- But wait, mat leave was pretty awesome…
- What, how did that dude get a 6 pack of beer in the park at noon??
- I would love a toilet right now….oh, false alarm.
- Is is walk break time? Please, let it be soon!
- Thank GOD!! A breeze. A teeny tiny breeze!
- Why do my feet feel like burning??
- How the hell can Triathlete Kristen Sweetland ever run and not feel her legs?!? Lucky b*tch.
- Oh again, it could worse, I’m not out walking in a suit and tie….poor bugger.
- Almost done
- Look, you’ve already gone 4.3 km, why not do a full 5K??
- Heaven! I found a sprinkler!!
- Why is the last 0.5 km so damn long!
- Hallelujah I am finished!!
So what’s my point? Some days runs are hard. Crappy, struggling, panting, sweaty messes. But they are part of the gig. Good runs, bad runs…they are all part of the journey. But, I guarantee you I feel better after a run. My mind feel fresh, my body is alive and I got to enjoy the outdoors. So take that crappy run 🙂